PRACTICE AREA/INDUSTRY FOCUS
With 16 years of experience in the IP field, Madhu strategically performs due diligence for companies acquiring IP assets and providing advice on various commercial issues arising out of such contracts. She also advices on contentious issues such as IP violations, misleading and false claims and has successfully represented clients in relation to advertising issues. Her most recent successes involved the publication of the trademarks LIFEBOUY and OLA CABS to be included in the well-known list published by the Trademarks Office. Madhu has also handled several Domain Name Disputes before WIPO and .IN Registry.
Madhu has been invited by various prestigious national and international forums and institutions to share her insights on various aspects of IP and sensitize stakeholders across all sectors. Some of her recent assignments include:
- Moderator at the INTA Virtual Meeting 2020 on “Emerging Unicorns Need to Protect IP” and at INTA Virtual Meeting 2021 on “Role of Artificial Intelligence and Intellectual Property”
- Conducted webinars on IP Protection, Management and Enforcement as a part of FICCI’s initiative, “100–Webinar series on Intellectual Property”
- Speaker at a 2-day awareness programme organized by The Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM) in association with the Jammu & Kashmir Entrepreneurship Development Institute (hashtag#JKEDI), Jammu
- Was a speaker at the World IP Forum 2018.
- Interacted with almost 100 school students at HUL’s campus in Mumbai on World IP Day 2017 featured in INTA Global Report
- Was invited by the Cell for IPR Protection and Management (CIPAM) to speak to trainers of Agastya International Foundation about Patent, Copyright, Trademark & Design.
- Recognized by Asian Legal Business as one of India’s 50 Rising Stars 2021. This list recognizes young lawyers making their mark in the industry by setting high standards and achieving results for their clients.
- Included in the Prestigious list of “WIPF – Powerful Indian Women in IP 2021”
- Recognised for “excellent client care” by Lexology and awarded the 2022 Client Choice Award.
- Ranked amongst “Recommended Individuals” in WTR 1000. The leading publication identified Madhu as “TM filing and brand strategy maven instrumental to firm’s success in TM prosecution and registrability advisory work”.
- Is invisible use of TM in Google AdWords infringement? For Asia Business Law Journal
- the role of intermediaries in protecting Indian IP. for Asia Business Law Journal
- India Chapter – World Trademark Review 2019-20
- The Battle for Fort William, Asia Law India Advisor, October 2007.
- Intellectual Property in Mergers and Acquisitions in India, Asia Law India Advisor, April 2008.
- A study of Indian companies and their approach to brand valuation, IP Value, 2011.
- Licensing in India: A Business Model, IAM Licensing.
- Reforms in the IPAB – Changes Ahead, Asia IP Magazine, September 2011.
- IP Checklist: India Business Law Journal, November 2013.
- Bar Council of Delhi, Member
- Member of the International Trademark Association
- Member of FICCI