M S Bharath
Senior Partner - Practice Lead, Chennai
PRACTICE AREA/INDUSTRY FOCUS
Bharath a Senior Partner at Anand and Anand, India leads the Chennai City Office practice. He currently serves as officer on several international IP organizations such as Co-Chair, India Global Advisory Council of International Trademarks Association (INTA), International Councilor and Vice President India Group of Asian Patents Attorneys Association (APAA), Current President of IP Association of South India
His practice includes Intellectual Property litigation before Indian High Courts, opposition, cancellation, arbitration and other related proceedings before the Trademark Office, Intellectual Property Appellate Board (IPAB), Copyright Board and Geographical Indications Office. He has been the lead counsel in numerous appeals, rectification and original proceedings before the High Courts of New Delhi, Chennai and IPAB with several reported decisions to his credentials. Over the years he has advised clients of varied sizes including start-ups, multinationals managing their large portfolios in varied field of telecommunications, footwear, luxury products, tobacco, brewing, automobile and consumer goods.
He also counsels clients on assignments, licensing, co-existence, franchise and other transactions related to intellectual property and currently oversees franchise portfolios of clients in the fields of restaurants, salons, education. He has been a speaker at and organized various Universities, national and international forums. He was Member of the group set up by CII and Tamil Nadu Technological Development & Promotion Council (TNTDPC) to work on “Study on Mapping the IP landscape in Tamil Nadu” whose report can be found at http://www.tntdpc.com/assets/download/IPR_TNTDPCReport_8May2015.pdf
He was instrumental in successfully restraining unauthorized use of the famous Tirupati Laddu, a registered GI in India apart from prosecuting GI applications towards grant for various national and international applicants in India including those for Baidagi Chillies, Tequila and Scotch.
Bharath has repeatedly used mediation and conciliation as means of resolving large scale conflicts in IPR including one involving as many as 250 oppositions, 2 suits, 3 criminal proceedings and a few freehold properties.
- Bar Council of India, Delhi High Court Bar Association & Madras Bar Association
Bharath has been endorsed by
- BRIC: EXPERT GUIDES as IP Expert from India;
- Asia Law for Intellectual Property identifying him as one of the leading IP counsels in India every year since 2013.
- Asia IP Expert Guide 2013 recognized Bharath as a leading IP Advisor.
MEMBERSHIPS AND EMPANELMENT
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Member since 2005
- Customs Committee 2008-09
- Legislative and Regulation Committee Pharma 2010-2012;
- Program Co-Chair INTA India Project Team, 2012-13;
- Parallel Imports Committee (PIC) 2012 – 2014;
- Legislative and Regulation Committee, 2014-2016;
- Anti-Counterfeiting Committee 2016-17 and 2017-18;
- India Global Advisory Council 2016-18;
- Project Team Member and Sessions Moderator, 2017 INTA India Workshop;
- Member INTA India Global Advisory Council 2016-17
- Co-Chair, INTA India Global Advisory Council 2018-19
- Chair, INTA India Round Table Project Team 2019
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA) Member since 2011
- International Councilor 2019 onwards.
- Vice President India Group 2016-19;
- Anti-Counterfeiting Committee for 2016-18;
- Current President IPASI: IP Association of South India, Founding member & Secretary (2011-15);
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI);
- Panelist, The Mediation and Conciliation Network, India as Arbitrator, Mediator & Negotiator
- IPR Advisory Committee, Tamil Nadu Technology Development and Promotion Centre, CII 2015-16
- Indo American Chamber of Commerce – IACC;
- TIE – The Indus Entrepreneurs, Charter Member;
- TANSTIA FNF Service Centre
- Mentor at Founder’s Institute
- Co-founder of SAKKHI a Not for Profit to empower transgenders. www.sakkhi.org