M S Bharath
Senior Partner - Practice Lead, Chennai
PRACTICE AREA/INDUSTRY FOCUS
Bharath a Senior Partner at Anand and Anand, India leads the Chennai City Office practice since June 2009.
His practice includes Intellectual Property litigation before Indian High Courts, opposition, cancellation and other related proceedings before the Trademark Office, Intellectual Property Appellate Board (IPAB), Copyright Board and Geographical Indications Office. He has been the lead counsel in numerous appeals, rectification and original proceedings before the High Courts of New Delhi, Chennai and IPAB with several reported decisions to his credentials.
Over the years he has advised and managed large portfolios of several India based multinationals in the field of telecommunications, footwear and Fortune 500 companies engaged in diverse industries including footwear, luxury products, tobacco, brewing, automobile and consumer goods. He also counsels clients on assignments, licensing, co-existence, franchise and other transactions related to intellectual property. He has been a speaker at and organized various national and international forums.
He was instrumental in successfully restraining unauthorized use of the famous Tirupati Laddu, a registered GI in India apart from prosecuting GI applications towards grant for various national and international applicants in India including those for Baidagi Chillies, Tequila and Scotch.
- Bar Council of India, Delhi High Court Bar Association & Madras Bar Association
Bharath has been endorsed by
- BRIC: EXPERT GUIDES as IP Expert from India;
- Asia Law for Intellectual Property identifying him as one of the leading IP counsels in India for the years 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
- Asia IP Expert Guide 2013 recognized Bharath as a leading IP Advisor.
MEMBERSHIPS AND EMPANELMENT
- International Trademark Association (INTA) since 2005
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA) since 2011
- Vice President APAA India Group 2016-19
- Co-Chair INTA India Project Team, 2012-13
- INTA Legislative and Regulation Committee Pharma 2010-2012
- INTA Parallel Imports Committee (PIC) 2012 – 2014
- INTA Legislative and Regulation Committee, 2014-2016
- INTA Anti-Counterfeiting Committee 2016-17
- INTA India Global Advisory Council 2016
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI) and Organizing Committee Member Forum and Exco 2011, Hyderabad, India
- IPR Advisory Committee, Tamil Nadu Technology Development and Promotion Centre, Confederation of Indian Industries 2015-16
- IPASI: IP Association of South India, Founding member & Secretary (2011-15)
- Indo American Chamber of Commerce – IACC
- TIE – The Indus Entrepreneurs
- TANSTIA FNF Service Centre collaborative venture between Tamil Nadu Small and Tiny Industries Association, Chennai and Friedrich Naumann Foundation, Germany
- Advisory Board of ICONGO, Indian Confederation of NGO’s and Cricking
- Mentor at Founder’s Institute