PRACTICE AREA/INDUSTRY FOCUS
Litigation and Enforcement
Manish Biala is a partner at Anand and Anand, handling litigation and customs portfolios. He joined the firm in September 2009 and has been actively engaged in putting an efficient IP protection system in place. He regularly appears for contentious matters before various courts throughout the Indian jurisdiction. He has been active not just in litigation but also IP enforcement and is one of the few lawyers who have dedicated themselves to making stakeholders aware about IPR and educating them about its nuances.
Before joining Anand and Anand, Manish was an independent legal practitioner aligned with criminal law practice for almost four years and his skill at conducting cross-examination remains unmatched.
On joining Anand and Anand, Manish involved himself in civil and criminal raids conducted on counterfeiters of reputed global brands, throughout India.
Manish has travelled the length and breadth of India covering almost all states and Union Territories to promote IPR awareness amongst police and customs officials.
After tasting the ground realities during raid actions, Manish has laboured to develop the Customs practice in the field of IP and is now leading it at the firm.
Manish is also responsible for obtaining unique orders from various Indian Customs offices under the Customs IPR Rules which came into existence in the year 2007. He continues to work tirelessly to develop this practice area to ensure efficient IP protection at Indian borders.
With thrust on efficient Customs practice, Manish is alive to the need for increasing IP literacy and awareness. For this, he is consistently conducting workshops and sessions to educate all stakeholders especially the law enforcement agencies about IP protection and enforcement, in collaboration with the Government of India.
He regularly conducts workshops on “Roles and Powers of Customs officials in IP Enforcement” at major Indian Customs offices. He also conducts training programs for Police officials on “Investigation in IP Crimes” in Police Academies in the country.
He also conducts training sessions and brand identification workshops on behalf of various reputed international brands with enforcement agencies in India including Police and Customs.
Manish has been engaged in serving the community in some of the most unique ways. In a matter titled Birla Publications Pvt. Ltd. vs. R K Rajput & Anr. concerning violation of copyright in a book on engineering, Manish obtained favourable order from the court and distributed the infringing books to the deserving and needy engineering students free of cost.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Manish’s pro bono work has been highly appreciated by Department for Promotion of Industry & Internal Trade (DPIIT), Government of India for conducting IPR enforcement workshops, covering 26 states & Union Territories of India.
- He has received appreciation from National Academy of Customs, Indirect Taxes and Narcotics (NACIN), Government of India for conducting workshops for training the Customs officials in IP laws.
- He has been involved with Indian Customs in framing of policy for better implementation and revision of customs rules and regulations for creating a better environment for the Right Holders.
- Manish has also assisted Central Board of Indirect Taxes (CBIC), Government of India along with other stakeholders and non-profit organisations in creation of a Customs Manual as a ready reckoner for Customs officials for enforcement of IP laws.
- Manish has also been awarded as “40 under 40 Rising Star 2019” by Legal Era.
BAR ADMISSION AND EDUCATION
Manish is a Commerce Graduate from Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce, Delhi. He then went on to study law at the Campus Law Centre, Delhi University and has been enrolled with the Bar Council of Delhi since 2005.