Senior Partner and Head of Department - Patents and Designs
PRACTICE AREA/INDUSTRY FOCUS
Intellectual Property, Patents and Designs
Archana Shanker, Senior Partner at Anand and Anand, heads the firm’s Patents and Design practice. She has over 28 years of experience in patents Prosecution and Litigation, strategy and designs across all technical domains. She has been ranked as one of the Most Powerful Woman in Law by World IP Forum, one of the Top Woman IP Practitioners by Managing Intellectual Property, Experts Guide-Woman in Business Law; to name a few and has several commendations to her name that vouch for her expertise. Her core domain is strategizing in patent related matters. She has been a lead counsel in noteworthy judgements involving Monsanto’s Supreme Court judgement, matters involving PREVNAR, Pioneer overseas, Novo Nordisk, Roche, Merck, Sterlite and many more.
Archana leads her department by actively participating in pre grant and post grant patent oppositions before the patent office and appeals and revocations before IPAB. Her team’s practice areas also include patent drafting, search and analysis, freedom to operate and other opinions on validity, patentability and infringement. She spearheaded the latest patent cases such as the Prevnar patent case, Glaxo patent case and many more before the patent office and IPAB.
Archana Shanker is an active contributing member of various international bodies, such as the Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA), Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI), the Federation Internationale des Conseils en Propriete Industrielle (FICPI). She has been elected the President of FICPI, India. She is also the LES – Vice President North India and is the first Woman President of FICPI. Archana regularly advises the government in Intellectual Property matters.
Archana is a regular speaker/panelist at national and international forums including LES, GIPC and many other prestigious forums; and is a contributor to India chapter of leading publications such as to Halsbury’s Laws of India, Getting the Deal Through; Patents and Lifesciences, Law Business Research-Life sciences Law Review, BNA’S- Finnegan- Global Patent Litigation Guide and more.
She also features on the editorial panel of LSIPR and her articles are regularly published in various leading industry focused specialized journals including such as Managing Intellectual Property, World Intellectual Property Review, Asia IP Magazine, IAM Magazine and others to be quoted. She is also the editor in chief for our in-house compilation ‘Patents Rewind’ and the blog.
Her recent awards and recognitions include:
- Managing Intellectual Property – IP Stars – Top 250 Women IP professionals; 2017, 2018 and 2019
- Managing Intellectual Property – IP Stars – Patents; 2017, 2018 and 2019
- IAM Patent 1000 – Recommended Individuals: Prosecution 2017, 2018 & 2019
- Expert Guides – Women in Business Law – Patents 2017, 2018 and 2019
- World Intellectual Property Forum – TOP 100 Woman in Law 2018
- Who’s Who Legal – Patents 2017, 2018 and 2019
- Legal Era 6th International IP Conclave and Awards 2019 – Women IP Star of the year 2019
- Top 100 Most Powerful Women in Law – World Intellectual Property Forum 2017 and 2018
- Chambers and Partners – Asia Pacific – Spotlight for Life Sciences, India; 2016, 2017 and 2018
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2016, 2017 and 2018 – Intellectual Property
- Asia IP Experts 2015, 2016 and 2017 – Patents
INTEREST AND HOBBIES
Archana has an undying love for Indian Classical Music and is a traveler by heart!